9/3/08

21 seconds or LESS!

uWhen Orangeboy scrambles into the car at the end of the school day, he immediately launches into a recitation of his homework assignments. He doesn't do this because I require it, ask for it, or have ever asked for it. He just feels compelled.
Today he said that for one of his reading assignments he was to read a poem in 21 seconds or less, and, as an aside comment, he speculated that he would need a stopwatch to do that accurately.
Not understanding the logic behind such an assignment, I sought clarity by asking,
"You have to read a poem in less than 21 seconds?!"

"No, in 21 seconds or LESS." he replies.

"That's what I said, less than twe-- Oh - okay, so you have to read a poem in 21 seconds - or LESS. Do you know why?"

Orangeboy replies, "Well... I assumed that."

Realizing that my son and I, once again, are not on the same wavelength, I attempt,
"ASSUMED what?" Knowing that such a question was bound to garner a long, detailed response that may still not get me where I wanted to go.

"Well... what she said...when I came back from Challenge class... because I missed the assignment when she said it to the class... my regular class... was that I was supposed to read the poem in 21 seconds. But I ASSUMED that she meant 21 seconds or LESS, because..."

"OK! I think I get the part about it being 21 seconds or LESS. What I don't understand is why she is asking you to TIME yourself while reading a poem."

"Well....that's just what she said. I don't know why."

"She didn't say or do anything to clue you in as to why she wants you to be able to read this poem in 21 seconds - or LESS?"

"Well.... What do you mean?"

"You know what? That's fine. Just run with it. Wait, I don't really mean run with it. I just mean go with the assignment as you heard it. - Or don't GO with the assignment, just ..."
"I'll find a stopwatch."


Rate me at http://humor-blogs.com/

1 comment:

  1. David4/9/08

    Oh you must find out why or at least find out the real assignment and let us know. Pleasse, please.

    ReplyDelete

If you get the facetious, sarcastic, or humorous quality in this post, please comment! At least LOL.